I received an email from UNIVERSAL PEACE FEDERATION (UPF) Argentina inviting me to be in, “Roads and bridges for peace”, is the title of the 6th International Poetry Contest. I asked about posting the email information of the Poetry Contest on my Blog. Miguel responded that I can do that. The following is the content of UPF Argentina and my response to the organization:
|Subject:||Roads and bridges for peace|
|From:||“UPF Argentina” <email@example.com>|
|Date:||Sun, July 20, 2014 10:02 pm|
|“Roads and bridges for peace” is the title of the 6th International Poetry Contest organized by the UPF Argentina, which is for writers, poets, students, and every person who feels inspired to express a content of universal value about this topic.
The following document has the Bases, which we would appreciate you could spread, with all these details: dates, Jury, Godmothers, and awards. The poem (in Spanish)can be sent by email until July 31 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lic. Miguel Werner
PD: See details of the 2013’s edition:
It is worth mentioning that in April it was presented at the Sociedad Argentina de Escritores SADE (Argentinian Society of Writers) the Anthology “UPF Argentina “Sentido y Paz”, which has some of the winning poems of the five previous editions of the contest: https://enigmaeditores.com.ar/Sentido-y-Paz-libro.html
“Roads and Bridges for Peace”
Following the International Day of Peace 2014
Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defenses of peace must be constructed.” Preamble of UNESCO’s Constitution (1945)
1. Objective: Despite the historical disappointments and conflicts are still around,a peaceful world remains as an inalienable imperative, an inescapable moral duty, a possible goal, and a task to perform. Culture, especially literature, can contribute to this based on universal values, and transcending frontiers, traditions, ideologies, and religions. We expect this wish, this special and universal yearn in the hearts of peoples and cultures, can be captured in the writings of the 6th International Poetry Contest of the UPF Argentina, this year under the title “Roads and Bridges for Peace.” The International Day of Peace 2014, established by the UN (Resolution 36/67), joins this event to “commemorate and strengthen the ideals of peace in each nation and each people, and among them.”
2. Formalities: The 6th International Poetry Contest “Roads and Bridges for Peace” is open to writers, poets, students, and every person who feels inspired to express a content of universal value about this topic. Each participant can submit one poem in Spanish, and it must be written in it: author’s name and surname, city, province/state, and country. There should also be a telephone number and an email so as to report the Jury’s evaluation, the winning poems, and other details. The format will be a written poem in verse, which should not exceed one A4 page, letter N° 12.
The poem can be sent by email to: email@example.com; or by post to: Av.
Rivadavia 755 – 3° Piso “F” (C1002AAF) – Buenos Aires – Argentina.
3. Launching of the Contest: June 1st, 2014.
4. Last day of receipt: Thursday, July 31, 2014. Meeting of the Jury: from August 12 to 22, 2014.
5. Jury: Consists of Prof. Bertha Bilbao Richter, literary critic, member of the Hispanic Cultural and Literary Institute (ILCH) and the Argentinian Society of Writers (SADE); Ms. Liria Guedes, writer and Honor Band of the SADE, member of the American Association of Poetry and the ILCH; writer Mabel Fontau, Honor Band of SADE, member of the ILCH and Gente de Letras; poet Donato Perrone, from the Ateneo Poético Argentino “Alfonsina Storni”, Coordinator of the Lyric Space from Café Tortoni, and representative of the Group of Poets Livres de Santa Catarina (Brazil); and a local representative of the Universal Peace Federation (UPF); all of them being Ambassadors for Peace of the UPF. The Jury’s decision is final and it has the right to solve any problem which is not covered by these Bases.
6. Godmothers: The writer and poet Juana Alcira Arancibia, founder and president of the Hispanic Cultural and Literary Institute (ILCH) and director-editor of the prestigious international literary magazine “Alba de América”; the Brazilian poet Marina Fagundes Coello, bilingual writer (Portuguese–Spanish), member of the ILCH, and member of different literary circles of outstanding trajectory in America; and the writer and poet Nélida Pessagno, vice-president of the SADE and Main Counselor of the “El Libro” Foundation.
7. Awards: The winning poem will be read by the author, or by someone they choose, at the Award Ceremony. They will also receive the Certificate of Recognition and the poem will be spread nationally and internationally. It will be also given four Honorable Mentions, five Special Mentions, and two Mentions with its certificates. Each person who receives one of these distinctions will also receive presents, and their poems will be included in the next book edition, as a way of promoting the values of a culture of peace.
8. Award Ceremony: The delivery of awards will take place in the Celebration of the International Day of Peace, in an artistic, cultural, and interreligious event that organizes the Universal Peace Federation (UPF) Argentina according to the UN date (Resolución 36/67), on Monday, September 22, 2014, and whose details will be reported opportunely.
9. Organization: the UPF Argentina, whose mottos worldwide are: “The hope of all times is a unified world of peace” and “A global family centered on God”, organizes this 6th International Poetry Contest, sponsored by the International Educative Foundation (FEI).
10. Joining this Contest implies accepting these Bases.
UNIVERSAL PEACE FEDERATION (UPF) – Status ECOSOC ONU
UPF Argentina: Av. Rivadavia 755 – 3° Floor “F” (C1002AAF) – Buenos Aires – Tel/Fax: (+54-11) 4343-3005
To Miguel Werner UPF Argentina:
Thank you very much for informing me about your event, “Roads and bridges for peace”. the title of the 6th International Poetry Contest.
I appreciate and am honored to receive your invitation. It is important to raise awareness to all the world to concentrate on peace in both one’s self and for society as a whole. Encouraging people to write a poem or any form that relates the concept of Peace is a valuable solution for oneself and others.
I am not a professional poet or writer. I wrote from my heart to let people understand me and make me able to exam myself and my concept. I believe that there are a lot more people that are superior to me. I do not like participating in a competition. I do not want to have my Peace poem in the competition but if you think that my peace poem has some validity to others then I welcome your use of my peace poem anytime you deem it suitable to the occasion. I would appreciate if you introduce my website to the others. I would also appreciate if you could translate any relevant projects in my website into Spanish so Argentineans will be able to acquire the information on my website. The intention of my peace project is as follows:
My idea of starting the Peace Project was to spread out the conversation on peace. My project is not copyrighted; anybody can use it and set up their own peace project.
Peace is for everyone, first for oneself to have peace in order to be happy and function well. Secondly is peace for society. A peaceful society comes from individuals having peace within, as a collective group of peaceful people. Hence we produce a peaceful and concerned society. I am really sad to hear a lot of bad news all over the world, including in this country.(USA) Corruption and greed are everywhere, especially with some politicians who are supposed to govern.
I see a lot of people fighting about religion, discrimination, race, and sexuality. Lately I started telling people that my peace project is not about religion, not about race or sexuality it is for human being, as long as we eat, poop, sleep and die then we are all the same. We are all equal no matter what religion, race or type of sexuality. There is no donation or any money involved with my peace project, I only want people to express and talk about it. By doing so we are better able to understand each other and try to help each other achieve peace.
I will be glad to see people use my peace project to develop their own peace projects by themselves I will help if I can or supply my peace poster and materials. I like to take pictures of others presenting the peace projects as information for what is possible for website. Please let me know if you have any good ideas.
The attachment is my Peace Poem in English and in Spanish:
Thank you very much,
PS. Do you mind if I post your email information on (“Roads and bridges for peace” is the title of the 6th International Poetry Contest) in my Blog so that anyone who views my Blog will know about your event.